You may often hear the term 'DSSAB' within our community.
DSSAB stands for District Social Services Administration Board.
A special Agency created by the Province and given the responsibilities
to deliver Social Services within the community.
These were created in the north, where there is no
existing Municipal Government with the legal jurisdiction to act as a Service Manager.
The DSSAB is committed to the provision and promotion of Services that assist individuals in attaining an optimum quality of life, that contributes to the well-being of the community.
The District of Parry Sound Social Services Administration Board is a Corporation that was formed by the District Social Services Administration Boards Act in February 1999.
The Board is represented by Municipalities and Unincorporated areas within the geographic area of the District of Parry Sound through the appointment of 15 Board Members.
Their Programs are operated according to various Provincial Acts and Statutes and are funded by both area Municipalities and the Province.
The Municipal share of their total costs is apportioned among the participating Municipalities and Unincorporated areas according to their percentage of total assessment values within the District of Parry Sound.
The DSSAB is responsible for the delivery of a number of Social Services, including:
- Ontario Works Programs
- Children's Services
- Community Programs
- Housing Services
- Deliver services in a fair, impartial manner having regard for the spirit of relevant legislation and within the guidelines of enabling legislation, directives and policies available.
- Deliver services which enable individuals to assume responsibility for themselves and which foster self-reliance and participation in community life.
- Treat all people with empathy and respect.
- Provide complete information to assist people in making informed decisions.
- Give consideration to individual preference in the selection of and participation in programs.
- Assist clients to identify their strengths and to build on these to achieve goals consistent with their abilities.
- Promote Services and offer Programs, which optimize the development of the child.
- Operate Child Care Programs, which provide quality standards with respect to facilities, staffing, programming, care-giving and parental support.
- Pursue the development and delivery of Child Care Programs that meet the challenges of children with special needs.
District of Parry Sound Social Services Administration Board (DSSAB)
1 Beechwood Drive
Parry Sound, Ontario P2A 1J2
Telephone: 705-746-8886 / 800-461-4464